Engage. Connect. Inspire.
Every great society leaves a meaningful cultural legacy. The people of Dane County, Wisconsin have remarkable gifts to share with the world. Arts, culture, and local history express our common humanity. The Dane County Arts and Cultural Affairs Commission within Dane County Government supports these beliefs through its Dane Arts projects and programs.
2022 Cycle 2 Grant Review Dates
All grant review panel meetings are open to the public. Agendas will be made available shortly.
In partnership with Arts + Literature Laboratory, StartingBlock Madison and the Willy Street Fair, Dane Arts is pleased to announce the Dane Arts Buy Local (DABL) 8th Annual Art Market on Friday and Saturday, September 16 and 17, at the 200 South Brearly Street Lot on Madison’s near eastside. More than 35 visual artists will exhibit and sell their work as part of DABL 2022. The public is invited to attend, meet the artists, and buy art.
Market Hours: Friday, September 16, 4 p.m. - 8 p.m. & Saturday, September 17, 10 a.m. - 3 p.m.
Since 2014, Dane Arts has been working to promote local visual artists to local businesses in a business-to-business format, highlighting both the economic and cultural impact the arts generate throughout Dane County. In addition, preceding the market DABL has added a 1.5 day “Business of Art” conference on September 14 & 15.
Learn more at dablmarket.com
Poster artwork by Dan Gardiner, DABL Exhibiting Artist
DABL Business of Art Conference
On Wednesday and Thursday, September 14-15, 2022, Dane Arts and Arts + Literature Laboratory (ALL) present The Business of Art, a new professional development conference for artists, creative entrepreneurs, and arts administrators organized in conjunction with the 2022 Dane Arts Buy Local (DABL) Art Market. The conference will take place at ALL, with a closing reception at StartingBlock Madison.
The cost to register for the morning Grant Writing Workshop on September 14 is $50. Registration for the full day of programming on September 15 is $150.
Learn more and register here: https://dabl.bpt.me/
Please register by September 10, 2022. Late registrations may be accepted if spaces remain.
Arts & Economic Prosperity VI
AEP VI is an economic impact study of the nation’s nonprofit arts and culture industry. Dane Arts, in partnership with the Wisconsin Arts Board and Americans for the Arts, is conducting the sixth Arts and Economic Prosperity Survey now through April, 2023.
Dane Arts is asking for your help in proving how valuable the arts are to Dane County.
AEP VI collects critical information about event‐related audience spending on categories such as food and beverages, gifts and souvenirs, local transportation, and lodging. The survey is completely anonymous and can be taken via QR code or paper hard copy.
Data collected from arts and culture events over the year will be compiled into a customized report available to the public in September, 2023. The arts are a business and economic driver here in Dane County, and the compelling data we are collecting can be used by everyone for arts advocacy initiatives, grant writing, and more! Check out the AEP V one page summary and full report released in 2015.
Artists, Arts Advocates, and Audience Members, help us help you:
- Take the survey! Please take the survey once each time you see it displayed at a nonprofit arts and culture event. The survey must be completed during the event.
- Host the survey! Consider providing copies of AEP surveys at your event (contact email@example.com for printed copies).
- Distribute surveys! We welcome any volunteers who are interested in helping us collect surveys from now until April, 2023. Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Spread the word! Encourage friends and family to take the AEP VI survey
Contact us to get involved!
Behind Creative: A Dane Arts Series
Dane Arts with Coney Island Studios started a series we hope you will enjoy. It's called, BEHIND CREATIVE. The series will spotlight local artists and technicians building community and the arts...BEHIND CREATIVE.
Learn More: Dane Arts Mural Arts
Dane Arts Newsletter
Sign up for our monthly newsletter to stay up-to-date with opportunities in the arts community!
Click here to subscribe.
- January Newsletter
- March Newsletter
- April Newsletter
- May Newsletter
- June Newsletter
- July Newsletter
- August Newsletter
DANG! 2020 Grant Recipients
Dane County Arts and Cultural Affairs Commission– aka Dane Arts– produced two videos this year. The first video recognizes, supports, and honors the many different Individual working artists impacted by COVID-19. Over 250 artists were each supported with $500 through a grant called DANG!– the Dane Arts Need Grant.
Now, we are sharing our second short video, "The Dane Arts 2020 Grant Recipients." This video highlights all the amazing Dane County arts organizations funded through our 2020 grant cycles. Their art is a true testament to the innovative and creative thinking from many talented artists and managers here in Dane County.
We are all to be thankful we have such a diverse arena of artists, arts programs, and projects. As with the DANG! recipients awarded this summer, these arts organizations have also given us all so much joy– especially at a time when we continue to be locked down due to COVID-19.
Dane Arts staff, along with Commission members, offer technical assistance, support, and advocacy countywide. Community service includes: initiating artistic projects, serving as an arts & culture resource hub, and inspiring meaningful connections between artists, presenters, and the community.
- Honoring and celebrating the Arts and Cultural Affairs Commission's community service spanning over four decades.
- Brilliant artwork created by over 100 local individual artists showcased in annual art posters and calendars, of which, hundreds of thousands are distributed near and far.
- Over 60 community murals and 35 storm drain designs created by Dane Arts Mural Arts (DAMA), a community arts effort which was started in 2014 out of this office and is now its own non- profit in partnership with Dane Arts.
- Since 2015, Dane Arts Buy Local Art Market (DABL) has been exhibiting and selling the work of local visual artists in a festive atmosphere with over $150,000 in art sold to date.
- Dane Arts Dance Arts (DADA) supporting and working with local movement artists and choreographers to create more opportunities to share creative work throughout Dane County.
- Over 100 local citizens provided service as Commission members and Grant Advisory Panel Members.
- Arts, Culture & Local History Grants (2007-2021): over 1800 awards totaling over $9.2 million (public & private sources) leveraging nearly $57.2 million from other community sources.