Attention Dane County Artists
Dane Arts Gallery
2017 shows have been selected. Check back after the new year for information about submissions for 2018.
2018 CALL FOR ART: The Urban and Rural Narrative of Dane County
2017 Calendar Cover Image: Amy J. Johnson, Harvest, Oil on Canvas, 18"x36"
Artistic interpretation of The Urban and Rural Narrative of Dane County can be literal or abstract. Art images might directly relate to the changing demographics of Dane County or to the urban and rural landscape of its resources. Images may also focus on the stories, history, traditions, practices, and culture of Dane County—both passed down and carried forward. Showcased art will in one way or another depict this theme and characterize the distinction of our Dane County local culture. Favored images will provocatively and positively evoke Dane County. Broad and creative interpretation of the urban and rural theme is welcomed. Representation of the stories, history, and people of Dane County are desired.
Application Deadline- EXTENDED
December 2, 2016 (received in Cultural Affairs Commission office or postmarked)
Original two-dimensional artwork in all mediums will be considered. Artists must be Wisconsin resident at the time of application; Dane County artists receive strong preference. New artists who have not been selected for past Cultural Affairs publications are highly encouraged to submit work. Selected original artwork must be available in case it needs to be re-photographed to meet production specifications.
All images submitted will be considered for selection. 12-14 images will be chosen for the calendar, and one or more image(s) will be chosen for the poster.
- Completed application form available online or from Cultural Affairs office.
- Submission fees are non-refundable (check payable to Dane County Cultural Affairs):
- Regular fee: $25
- Up to six high qulaity images; digital format of recent artwork in any two-dimensional medium -- CD or flashdrive.
- Printed list describing work.
- Artist bio of 200 words (maximum) and/or artistic statement.
Selected artists will be notified by February 28, 2017. Wisconsin galleries representing selected artists also will be acknowledged, if desired.
- Selected artists will receive the following honorarium for reproduction rights in calendar, poster, bookmark, and promotions:
- Calendar: $125 (per image)
- Poster: $500*
- Selected artists also receive a small supply of free calendars and posters for personal distribution.
*Poster honorarium subject to change based upon design.
Selection criteria applied by Dane Arts Advisory Committee include:
- Evocation and representation of Dane County cultural life.
- Artistic quality.
- Balance of seasonal representations of Dane County.
- Market appeal.
- Illustration of the theme.
For Digital Images
- Files must be submitted on a CD or flashdrive and oriented as you wish them to appear when projected.
- Images must be high resolution (at least 300 dpi, with output size of approximately 5"x7" for calendar and larger output for poster)
- Files must be in JPEG format (preferably with sRGB color profile embedded).
- Each image must be labeled with the artist’s name and a number that corresponds to a printed list with the following information:
- Image number
- Title of work
- Date made
- Dimensions (height x width)
- Acknowledgement of gallery or owner, if appropriate
Submitted images should be of highest quality possible, with color accuracy representing original artwork.
E-mail entries will not be accepted.
|Send application and art submissions by 12/2/16:||Contact info:|
|Mark J. Fraire, Director||Mark J. Fraire, Director|
|Dane County Cultural Affairs||Dane County Cultural Affairs Commission|
|Room 421, City-County Building||608-266-5915|
|210 Martin Luther King, Jr. Boulevard|
|Madison, WI 53703-3345|